It's good to have goals. Without goals, you're aimlessly wandering around on this space rock with nothing to do and no one to answer to. Some folks like that but I'm not one of them--I like having goals, for near and long-term. I have career goals that I work on with my manager, these are overall professional and community goals to help me personally grow.
I got a lot done in 2016 and continued the trend in 2017, let's break it down and end with my 2018 goals.
2017 Year in Review
- Achievement Unlocked: Father. My son was born in February!
- I started a new job at Target in August
Some very exciting milestones were reached in 2017: my first course was published and I became a Pluralsight author!
Overall, I'm still finding time to contribute to open source. My number of contributions was lower than 2016 but this year I had a new baby so I figure that's pretty good!
Speaking and Conferences
I already reached one of my goals for 2018 "on accident," which was doing a workshop.
- Made a game for Ludum Dare 38
- Finished Horizon: Zero Dawn, Dishonored 2, Life is Strange, and Super Mario: Odyssey. Haven't beaten Zelda yet.
In 2016 I didn't lay out my goals in a post, I had them in my head. I'd like to write them down here so I can compare how I did at the year end. Let's do it!
- Publish 1 more Pluralsight course (excludes one in progress)
- Host a half-day workshop (scheduled for April)
- Participate in a LD game jam
- Attend and present at 2 conferences
- Attend and present at a local user group
- Continue doing code livestreams
- Finish KTOMG UI revamp with React
- Publish another Pi guide for a project I have in mind
My primary goals are based on previous milestones that I think I can continue. I also want to have some stretch goals to work towards:
- Become a Microsoft MVP: I spread the love around TypeScript and Azure a lot in my talks and work, I'd like to work towards becoming an MVP.
- Publish 2 more Pluralsight courses: I'm confident I can do at least 1 course in 2018, I'd love to do two!
- Host a full-day workshop: This one will be a tough one but with a half-day workshop goal already in progress, I should try for a full-day--even if it's at work and not publicly. Target hosts internal workshops and I've already signaled my intent to do one for 2018.
- Stream 10 sessions: I streamed 3 sessions in 2017 and took a holiday break. In January I want to start back up and continue it for the rest of the year, if I can make it work.
Phew, that's a lot! We're going to see if I can achieve some of these in 2018 and what ends up carrying over to 2019. Good luck working towards your own goals for this new year!